Saturday, November 21, 2009

Fringe, Sous Vide, and Survivor



I watched 4 episodes of "Fringe" last night. "Fringe" is a Sci-fi Tv series, a sort of "X-files" with a stronger main thread (the pattern) and more open threads.

The main characters consists of a blonde FBI agent, a genius of MIT drop-out, and an old Dr. Frankenstein, who is the father of the genius. They are trying to figure out the reason behind the weird case in each episode, using "fringe" science, developed by Dr. Frankenstein 30 years ago.  There is an unknown "pattern" waved all those cases together.

The plot seems quite complicated with many myth to be discovered, such as the pattern, the secret of agent Scott, the "massive dynamic" company (sounds familiar with the company in Heroes?), etc.
It is an okay Tv series to me.  I would give a 3.5 out of 5. It is not as appealing as the first season of "Heroes".  Maybe it has too many open myth and has confused audiences.
"Fringe" also implies pseudo science here.  Most of the science used in the program to interpret the mystery phenomenon seems a bit too shallow to me. It's so easy to use the science. The writers didn't try to incorporate too much science into the program, after all, it is a sci-fi Tv series, not for real.

Anyway, I may keep watching this Tv series later in the weekend. BTW, the music of Fringe is good, not as scary as the X-Files.

The Vancouver Sun today talks about the "sous vide" cooking method.  "Sous vide" is a cooking method to cook foods sealed in vacuum bags in lukewarm water for a long time.  This method gives chef precise control of the temperature and time in cooking.  It is applauded by a chef as "the future of cooking".  I had heard of this cooking technique before, sounds interesting.  The food cooked by "sous vide" must be very tender with special taste.  I just remembered the way I cooked the "Salty duck" with little boiled water and low oven temperature, which resulted in tender and smooth taste duck.  Aha, I had somehow tested this cooking technique myself. I may employ something from this "future" cooking technique into domestic cooking more. It may be interesting to find out the results.



Last note is about the last episode of "Survivor: samoa" show on Thursday night.  Russell found the 3rd immunity idol.  When I saw that scene, I almost cried out "Unbelievable!".  This guy found 3 idols. It really stirs the tribute vote and makes the show very interesting! When John knew that he was chosen as the false voting target, I knew immediately that he may do something to revenge the other Galu people.  I can sense his fury.  Nobody want to be put into a possible dangerous position, especially without consultation and agreement at first. Russell is a powerful player in this season and the show is fun to watch with this guy.  I really anticipate the next episode.

No comments: