Sunday, November 23, 2008

Hyperion

I finished the reading of the magnificent "Hyperion" and "The fall of Hyperion". This sci-fiction was written by Dan Simmons in early 1990s and had won the Hugo award for the best novel of 1989. The story happens in the future when humankind had colonized thousands of world in the universe. Before the outbreak of war between humankind and outster, seven people were chosen to the last pilgrim of Shrike to Hyperion, a mystery colonial star with time tomb. The first book talks about the story of the seven pilgrims and second one reveals the plot behind the war and the fate of the pilgrims. I won't cover the details of the story here. What impress me most in this book is the rich poem embedded in this scifi book. I've read a lot of scifi, in English and Chinese. This is the first of the kind with poems, literature, and poet in the story. Actually, the name of "Hyperion" was coming from the unfinished epic poem of John Keats. John Keats also serve an important role in the book. The story is a sort of mixture between fantasy and scifi. Dan had created a world spanning thousands of years, mingling space and time. It is my first experience of reading scifi book like reading traditional literature, even English poem. I've learned a lot and I have to say that the world is fascinating. I love reading long space sagas. This one is definitely on the top of my favorite. I'll try to read the Chinese translation later, as the English is full of poem and literature, religions, etc. I bought other books by this author and will read them later.

I am now reading another scifi book, "Spin", by Robert Charles Wilson. This one is also an award winner.

No comments: