Friday, February 24, 2006

A little "crisis" resolved

I've survived a little "crisis" at work. I accidentally started my "grab" program to extract email addresses from a website, in company. The grab program worked for almost one day and have accessed more than 10,000 webpages. The unusual traffic pattern finally attracted the attention of our network security staff, questioning a possible "port scanner" working in my PC. Oh, my god. I was so nervous when our local IT staff came to my desk and ask for if any virus affected my PC.

After a long time virus scan and adware/spyware checking, I have passed the "virus" fixing procedure. I immediately removed all the file sharing and *p" copy of software, video, music from my HD.

The lesson I learned is that the network monitor is everywhere and is smart enough to catch any unusual traffic pattern, especially in our corporate network.
No more playing with the network at company!!

I should get a better PC at home and then I won't use my working laptop for those kind of job anymore. In my wishlist, ....

No comments: