Friday, February 03, 2012

Life in Silicon Valley is different from Vancouver, Canada

I moved to Silicon Valley from last September.  Almost 5 months till today.

Life in Silicon Valley is very different from my life in Vancouver, Canada.

1. living. There is no life without a car in the US. The public transit is not comparable to Metro Vancouver, where we had skytrain and many bus services. Unless you are living and working close to BART, I heard that the public transit is almost unusable for daily commute. I am renting right now. The rental is expensive than Vancouver and the house is also pricer. However, compare to the income, I'd say the house is a bit more affordable than Vancouver.  A recent report claimed Vancouver ranks #2 in the world in terms of 'in-affordability' and San Jose ranks lower though.  It's not a ranking you want your city get into. :-)

So, the first task for me is to get a car here.  I have posted a detailed blog previously about Canadian buying cars in the US.

However, once you have got a car here, the life is much easier now.  The highway system is very developed and it's easy to driving around a lot of places in 15-20 minutes, excluding the rush hour.


2. working. As I expected, the working culture in Silicon Valley is very different from working in Vancouver.  Everyone is super busy here and the projects are carried over in a fast-pace.  Even though people are working in a big company, you have to work hard like in a start-up.  That's the spirit of the Silicon Valley, as Steve Jobs depicted, 'stay hungry, stay foolish'. Most of the engineers, even engineering managers/directors will work till very late every day and overtime in the weekend.
Albeit I somehow expected this, the hardworking and fast-pace project did surprised me initially.

3. environment and weather. No doubt, SV has one of the best weather in the US, let along Canada. I can enjoy sunshine still December.  From February, the sun is shining again. The temperature is mild in the daytime and a bit chilly at night.  Remember, it is winter here.  I don't know how good it can be in Spring and Summer.  Noted the sun is very intense, although it is not hot here.  I came to Canada in Christmas, and my wife found me darker than before even though I wasn't white at all. No wonder, California is called "the heaven of outdoor". With the fabulous weather and many national parks close-by, it is almost impossible not to go outdoor. It's one of the best features I loved California.

4. social. I met a lot of local people from the hiking/running events. Most of the people here engineers, no wonder. I found more outdoor people here than in Vancouver.  I was talking about Chinese guys. Many local events, like alumni, geek group, hiking group, etc. If you are outgoing and willing to meet new friends, you won't be disappointed.

No comments: