Tuesday, July 06, 2010

First time driving a cargo van

I had rented a Penske cargo van in the last long weekend to transport some furniture I bought online.

It's my first time driving a cargo van, which is much bigger than a minivan.  It's a full-sized van, like Ford E250. The experience is precious to me. There is no rear mirror in the van, only side mirrors are available.  As I am used to checking on the rear mirror when driving, I have to be very prudent when I first started the engine.  I bought the day insurance, which I originally rejected. The truck is pretty high, so your horizon is much better than driving a sedan.

The Penske truck rental is not bad.  The cargo van is pretty big actually. The base price is $39.00, and per km is $0.21.  Compared to U-Haul's $19.99 and ~$0.6 per km, it's a better deal to me at least, because I have to drive a long way from Vancouver to Surrey. I did some research online before I rent the truck. People was saying that the truck of Penske is better than that of U-Haul, so you have a better driving experience. Also, you have the truck for 24 hours, instead of the 4 hours from U-Haul.  They have a 12% discount for AAA/CAA member as well.

The experience is precious to me, as I said.  After the first time, I am more confident now to drive a bigger van, like 12/15 persons passenger van.

No comments: