Thursday, January 06, 2005

start using a new window manager

just upgrade my X system to Xorg. Unfortunately, I found that my fluxbox quit working now. Tired of recompiling fluxbox, I start shoppoing around new window manager. A really new one: window manager improved, bumped into my eyesight. This project starts from almost end of 2003. It claims to a be lightweighted and command line friendly window manager. Oh, and with some best features of ION, which is too complicated to configure for me. Anyway, I tried this one, and found it is really good. The program is simple and fast, much faster than my old fluxbox. The configuration is not too hard. I was struggling with the workspace switching with my favoriate "Alt-F1/F2..". I found that the FAQ is wrong, at least, it is not suitable for my wmi-10 version. Instead of "switch-workspace workspace name", you should use "switch-workspace+workspace name" in the actions.conf file.

Anyway, I am using this one. It is good. I have 4 workspaces. #2 is used for my urxvt, with nothing but a full screened terminal. #3 is my browser. It is fullscreened too.

One pity is that the mouse support is too primitive. Considering that it just passed its 1 year birthday, it's not a bad one. It's functional and minimalist.

Just it a try. I am happy with it now and expecting the new release.

No comments: